Wednesday, November 18, 2020

Alaska's Grizzly Gauntlet from National Geographic

 Hello everyone.  It has been a couple of weeks and I apologize for taking some time off of writing here but life has a way of getting crazy. I have been thinking about what I wanted to write about for this weeks post and realized that I have watched an amazing series on Disney plus called Grizzly Guantlet and I thought it would be kind of cool to share my thoughts with you all about the series. 



When I was a child I very much wanted to work with animals.  At one point I thought I wanted to be a cattle rancher because there was nothing more exciting than being a cowboy, at least in my mind.  I then moved on to loving to hike and backpack with my father and then later with the Boy Scouts of America. At the university level I enjoyed my biology courses the most which is why I actually watched this show. 

Summary and Thoughts:



This show follows photojournalist and adventurer Les Stroud as he tries to get in close with different wildlife in the Alaskan Frontier.  In the first episode he goes to Kodiak Island and follows a group of brown bears as they gorge themselves on salmon before the hibernation season begins.  He is even able to capture a juvenile brown bear putting her scent on one of his field cams, a very cool and precious moment if I do say so myself.  The best part of this first episode is the look at a family of bears where a cub is lost, learns to survive on its own, and is reunited with it mother.  

In the second episode we travel north to a small island where polar bears have started to come into town. This episode is one that I think everyone that wants to live a more green, or conservation minded, life should watch.  It shows the problems that our receding ice shelf is placing on the bear populations of the north. I never thought of bears as being the most intelligent beings in the natural world but this episode changed my mind on that.  We hear stories of patrols that are sent to look out for bears and how the bears learned to hide in the shadows and avoid them almost like they were extras in the movie "The Great Escape".  This is an absolutely sobering look at the struggle these massive animals are going through as their means of  migration and hunting have been taken away from them.

I don't want to give too much away from the remaining three episodes as they are equally informative and entertaining but I have to wrap this short summary up here soon.  In the remaining episodes Les travels by helicopter and sees the Caribou in their natural environment.  We see how these majestic animals scout out predators and the way the herds have adapted for survival.  We then travel to get up close and personal with moose.  That is one animal that I would avoid if I ever cam across one as they are frightening. We finish off the series checking out the salmon spawning season in black bear country.  Another amazing look at how animals have evolved to survive and what it looks like.

Overall:

I highly recommend that you all take a moment out of your lives and watch this show. It lit a fire under me to do all I can to help save the arctic and the animals that are threatened because of the loss of our polar ice caps and ice shelfs. It doesn't only paint a picture that is grim for the animals of the Arctic circle, it also paints a grim picture for the people that live and work in the arctic. 

I rate it a 4 out of 5 because of the awareness it brought us and the information that it shares.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisdom: According to Odin

 Today I was reading the Havamal and came across the bit where Odin warns against gaining too much wisdom.  This made me think about how wis...