Wednesday, January 20, 2021

What Is The Worst That Could Happen?

 I have been working through a book that is meant to unleash my creativity.  For the longest time I never pursued my creative side, mostly out of fear of others so I decided to publicly do an exercise called "The Worst."  In this exercise one is to share some of their greatest fears in regard to unleashing your creativity, your weird, your uniqueness upon the world.

My biggest fears:

  • Rejection- What if people say I'm not good enough, or tell me that I should spend some time searching for something more logical to do. 
  • Hate- I am scared to death of hate.  I always choke up, shorten my stride, lose all forms of self confidence around hate. If I were to be in the public eye and received hate I am not sure how I would respond. 
  • That whatever I'm working on is really good.  - I know this one sounds strange because success isn't something to fear, right?  Wrong.  If I were to hit it out of the park and do amazing on an endeavor would I be able to repeat, would people still treat me as me and not as something different (I've always been the strange kid why would I want folks to treat me like that again?)  
  • Fake Friends - as someone who has never really had a strong sense of bonding with other than one or two people in my life I don't know how to recognize a friend. 
  • Negative Feedback- similar to hate, what if people don't like what I have created? what if they are bold enough to tell me to my face? 
  • That not only strangers but actual friends and family don't like what I have created.  How embarrassing would it be if your mother told you not to quit your day job.  I think I would die inside.  Or even worse,  what if my wife told me that it was the crappiest thing that she has ever read/heard/listened to.  Oh the humanity!!!!!!!

Looking at this list I think that I feel a little better. After all creativity, though something to be shared, is more for the benefit of the creator.  If you all are ever unsure of yourself perhaps an exercise like this can help you out as well.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wisdom: According to Odin

 Today I was reading the Havamal and came across the bit where Odin warns against gaining too much wisdom.  This made me think about how wis...